Monday 21 January 2013

The Attic

Tomorrow I'm heading to Liverpool to meet my final project supervisor for a catch up, some career advice, and to give some books I borrowed in 2006 back..  better late than never.. stop judging me!

When I left a lot of my possessions were boxed up and put in the attic. I had known about this meeting since last week but, as with all things that are, or will probably be unpleasant, of course we leave them till the last minute, and of course because I am going tomorrow I was forced to go to the attic today.

The attic is a treasure hole of things from my youth, old pictures drawn as a child, toys, posters I covered my uni dorm with, clothes no-one should have worn from the 80's etc. So from that point of view its always fun to look for things up there, but there is another side to the attic, something like the "hell" often seen in silent hill games.. without Pyramid Head and probably without un-dead nurses, although I can't be sure about the dark corners even the flashlight from my phone can't penetrate.


There are things that move up there, in my peripheral never quite coming to clear sight, there is a layer of dust, a REALLY thick layer of dust, that is probably full of dust mites among other things, on nearly everything, and spider webs EVERYWHERE.

I am sure as I write this, there are a number of spiders trying to make new homes in my hair, my lungs, and  finger cracks, and ears, and eyelashes are covered in dust mite poo, among other things, and I am in urgent need of a shower. But whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger right? I found the text books, an old study Japanese Kanji book, and best of all I found this! 


I was 10 years old when DOOM was released, and I think I was 13 or 14 when I found this version at our house. My father did his best to hide it but of course I found it and inspite of its (15) rating, I was playing it on the sly and it became one of the first game addictions I had. This game was epic at the time, I remember a lot of my friends playing it too, even though all of us were the same age. Ah what a classic.

PS. All that talk about Silent Hill reminded me of this;


LOL.. Surely you'd just turn around and give up on what ever it was you were going to do. Besides you'd never actually get to do anything because you'd be fighting blades-for-limbs-ass-head monsters, psychotic butchers with pyramids for heads, minions from hell, hoards of zombies, mutants etc. with a metal pipe, or if you were really lucky a handgun half full of ammo and a flashlight that works sometimes.
See turning around is the best way. 
Or suicide. That could work.

No comments:

Post a Comment